Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Paleo means old, but old does not mean bad in my book

I think Paleo Runner (the name of this blog) should be understood simply as an old(-ish) runner. After all, the original Greek word παλαιός [palaiós] means just that: old.

There are paleo diets and so on, but I'm not referring to or practising them anymore.

Old does not necessarily mean negative consequences; on the contrary, I believe old runners can enhance the positive aspects of life like health, happiness and humor.



I'd like to finish by quoting from my favorite running book, Born To Run by Christopher McDougall (p. 14):
"In Tarahumara Land, there was no crime, war or theft. There was no corruption, obesity, drug addiction, greed, wife-beating, child abuse, heart disease, high blood pressure, or carbon emissions. They didn't get diabetes, or depression, or even old: fifty-year-olds could outrun teenagers, and eighty-year-old grandads could hike marathon distances up mountainsides." 

No comments: