Sunday, August 24, 2014

Celebrating 20 Years Mountain Running

In 2014 it's already been 20 years since I got hooked on mountain running. I've already celebrated this summer by finishing Lavaredo Ultra Trail 119km and Eiger Ultra Trail 101km.

Mountain crystal finisher award I received after Swiss Alpine Marathon 1995. 

I spent the summer 1995 in Switzerland training around Walensee, Melchsee, Davos, Saint Moritz and several other fantastic locations.

I also finished four tough and steep races that summer:

  • Vilan Berglauf 13.5km +1,840m
  • Frutigen-Adelboden Berglauf 19.5km +950m
  • Gotschna Berglauf (Klosters) 11.5km +1,080m
  • Swiss Alpine Marathon (Davos) 67km +2,700m

Those were very good times. In fact whenever you are running in the mountains, it's always a great pleasure.

But what matters is the next 20 years. There are still so many awesome races I want to finish. Starting from Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc 168km (104 miles) next weekend, my longest ultra so far.

Happy trails!

2 comments:

Will Cooper said...

Good luck at UTMB! One step at a time out there. I know you will do well. Congrats on your 20 years!

Jukka Kukkonen said...

Thanks Will!