Friday, February 1, 2008

Running through a snowstorm

The weather report for today predicted a snowstorm. It had passed Sweden yesterday and they had some issues with electricity and stuff there. 

I headed out anyway as it didn't seem too bad in the morning and I really felt like going long today. The wind was pretty strong when I crossed the bridge leading to the islands in the west. My plan was to turn back to east later on. 

It started to snow heavily after about 90 minutes. I turned my back to the wind and sort of sailed through it all. It was kind of nice to run on soft new snow. The temperature stayed just above the freezing point and the snowflakes stuck on my clothes.

I totalled 45.3 km (28.1 miles) in 5 hours and 20 minutes with an average HR of 128. I had to run the last five km against the wind and the gusts nearly stopped my forward momentum at times. What's more, my feet were a bit wet, so I figured that's enough fun for one day.

5 ultramarathons down, 47 left!
  

No comments: