Sunday, May 17, 2009

Simp my shoe: Asics Gel DS Racer


Asics Gel DS RACER
Originally uploaded by jo@flickr

I simped my Asics Gel DS Racers by cutting off 80% of the heels and taking the insoles out.


The weight of a shoe was reduced from 219 g (size EU 43.5, US 9.5) to 180 g. So they are 18% lighter, but that's not the main reason for doing this.

My purpose was to improve my running technique and strengthen the leg muscles. I believe this will improve my racing and prevent injuries.

A short 6K test run today proved my new simped shoes usable both on roads and forest trails. So far so good.

2 comments:

Jorge Cerqueira said...

ASICS brand has really good tennis, I do use this mark to train and compete.

Good luck at the races.

Get a hug out of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil),

JORGE CERQUEIRA
www.jmaratona.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yes Asics is one of the best brands out there, with Brooks, Adidas and so on. Especially if you are a heel striker, like I used to be. My best marathon time happened when I used Puma racing flats though, go figure.

Thanks Jorge, you seem to have a cool blog, too bad I don't really understand Portuguese. Good luck for the races!