Friday, February 3, 2012

Extended cutoffs for MountainMan Ultra 2012

Good news for back-of-the-pack trail plodders: The MountainMan Ultra 50-mile (80.3 km) trail running event in Switzerland will add 90 minutes to its overall cutoff on August 18th, 2012. The time window will be thus extended to 16.5 h, and all cutoffs along the course will be also adjusted accordingly.

As I wrote in my race report last year, the unfortunate DNFs caused by the slightly too strict cutoffs were a bitter pill to swallow for many runners. It's great that the race organization is welcoming constructive feedback and therefore keeping the event live and growing. As they say, "Our goal is to make you sweat and smile!"

Now as the finish will close at 23:00 instead of 21:30 on top of Mount Pilatus, I'd be willing to try this extremely scenic route again - if I hadn't already qualified for CCC on August 31st. As I'm not like Mike Wardian, who can recover overnight, it's not realistic for me to expect sufficient recovery in 12 days between these two super hard races.

But if you are even slightly interested, by all means take a look at the aerial photos from 2011 race. I'm one of those tiny dots on the huge mountain (click the photo below to enlarge), and I'll never forget the amazing scenery at "Panorama World". Although not all runners were fast enough to finish on that hot sunny day, they were able to enjoy the magnificent views towards Lake Brienz and the famous mountain trio of Eiger, Jungfrau and Mönch.


2 comments:

Richard said...

Wow! That looks like an awesome course. Do you know if it usually fills out? I race in Iceland on July 14 so depending on how it goes I could go get another CCC qualifying point there...

Jukka Kukkonen said...

Yes it's a very scenic scenic course with lots of variety. It's a young developing event (this year will be 3rd edition) that hasn't so far filled out. Last year I registered about a couple of weeks before the start. Yes the Marathon would give you 1 point for CCC, while the Ultra is worth 3 points.