Sunday, December 2, 2012

Lifestyles of the iRich and iFamous



Oh no, I watched the presentation above and somehow accidently pre-ordered the new 27-inch iMac for Christmas. They estimate it will be delivered sometime in January 2013.

It's an Apple, so it was roughly twice the usual price for a computer like this, even without all the latest bells and whistles like the Fusion Drive. There goes most of my next year's race budget, but this is the only way to cure my Apple-fever, I guess.

Let's focus on the positive: the new iMac is only 5mm thin! That's possible only because the CD/DVD superdrive was removed from the design. Fortunately they kept all the vital parts, which explains why the body is still a couple of inches thick in the middle. It's like a fat guy announcing after a long diet: "Look, my ear is only 5mm thin now!"

Enough of the hardware. The current OS X version is called Mountain Lion, because it's so agile and powerful. Logically the next version should be named Kilian Jornet.


Due to some complications, iTunes 11 wasn't released until last week, although it was introduced already on September 12, 2012. It was supposed to be a lot simpler, but the jury will let you know the final verdict after they have figured out how to use it.

While waiting for the new iMac, I've read many Apple-related books on my iPad. My top three:
  • Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson,
  • Insanely Simple by Ken Segall, and
  • iWoz by Steve Wozniak (Apple co-founder).
Speaking of Woz, after seeing his Tweets on December 1, I wonder how healthy his lifestyle is.

Woz lifestyle according to his Twitter (the latest on top).
From Grill & Bar to Police Station, only to return to the Grill & Bar, then Bar-B-Que, Baskin Robbins, and finally Cemetery! All I can say is that I'd rather run all day in the Alps than risk trying the Woz Lifestyle for an hour. 

When I and iMacs were young, each episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous used to end with the signature phrase 'Champagne wishes and caviar dreams'. My 'poor and unknown' slogan could be nowadays something like 'Fruit smoothie wishes and vegetable dreams'. Finally I've become a true apple-fan!

1 comment:

Will Cooper said...

apple controls us...what other brand would we pay 2x the value for? Keep on running!