Friday, April 3, 2015

Hoka Challenger ATR review

Hoka-heads adore their oversized soles. However after twisting my ankle in Lavaredo Ultra Trail with Stinson Trails last summer I started looking for a replacement.

Unboxing Hoka One One Challenger ATR. Is this the shoe I've been looking for?

I got the new Stinson ATRs in January for Transgrancanaria 2015. I slipped in the first downhill and my race was over. I finally figured a grippier outsole with thinner midsole was desperately required.

My Challenger weighs 278g - 81g (23%) lighter than my Stinson ATR.

Hoka-gods answered my prayers with Challenger ATR. It's basically a Clifton with a more aggressive outsole and more supportive upper. The heel is 29mm and the forefoot 24mm thick. Stinson ATR is 32 and 26mm respectively.


After a few test runs I love Challenger ATR already: it's fast, secure and comfy.

The best feature is that Challenger ATR is 23% lighter than Stinson ATR. My size 10.5US  Stinsons were 359g. My Challenger ATR is 81 grams lighter with 278g.




Challenger ATR is a great lightweight shoe - or should I say Performance Enhancing Footwear - for faster, shorter or more technical ultra trails. Some claim it's the best ever. We'll see how it performs soon in Ecotrail Oslo.

No comments: