Thursday, April 23, 2015

Stupid Stunt du Jour


I wish I could train smart like others. It seems I can't. Every day, I come up with a new challenging idea. Then I do this 'Stupid Stunt du Jour' - just for fun.


This morning, I was thinking about Lydiard's Steep Hill Running and Seko. The emphasis of this exercise "is NOT how fast you run up the hill AT ALL." Get it? Well I obviously didn't.


This afternoon I decided to run up this set of steep boulders by my trail ALL OUT. I wanted to see if it could be done and test my limits. I started fast and furious, but then misplaced my right foot.


I felt my Achilles tendon stretch to its maximum length, and beyond. "It's going to snap", flashed on my mind immediately. Surprisingly, after a moment that seemed to last forever, it held together.


Of course it hurt a bit as I limped towards home. Definitely not so much fun anymore. I swore this would be the last crazy trick EVAAAR. From now on, I'll train only cautiously.


After dinner I started to contemplate the positive side of this. My legs got tested 110% and they lasted pretty well. No permanent damage was done. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.


I wonder what my SSdJ will be tomorrow?


2 comments:

Will Cooper said...

You're nuts.

Jukka Kukkonen said...

You bet, we even have nuts.fi ultra trail running events in Finland!