Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Quarantine Backyard Ultra



Quarantine Backyard Ultra by Personal Peak was a well-received virtual event via Zoom and Strava. Over 2,400 runners started at the same bell ring on Saturday, April 4th, 2020.



It was fun to see other participants on the screen running around their living room couch, around the block they lived in, or on a frozen mountain lake in Northern Sweden like Anna Carlsson.



After a snow-free winter in Helsinki, I was surprised to find my 6.71km race course in the Central Park a bit snow/ice covered.The cold Western wind felt freezing. I dreamed about 15 laps and 100km, but finally settled for 11 laps and 76.5km at 3am. I logged off my Zoom, uploaded my results to Personal Peak and Strava, and went to sleep.


Mike Wardian won with 63 laps and 422km when Radek Brunner failed to start his treadmill on time. The Backyard race format has been developed by Lazarus Lake, who kindly served as a commentator.

No comments: