Friday, January 25, 2008

My new running friend: iPod nano 8GB



The battery of my trusted old iPod could not take the cold winter weather anymore, so I had to get a new one. I can't imagine solo ultra training runs without some music, podcasts or audiobooks. 

I chose the new 'blue' (or more like turquoise) iPod nano 8GB (3rd generation) model. It has a new 'square' design, which differentiates it effectively from the previous, more rectangular models.

Pros:
  • 8 GB memory card
  • ultra battery: up to 24 hours of audio on a single charge
  • compact size
  • light weight
  • cool anodized aluminum top & polished stainless steel back
  • bright display
  • new enhanced interface.
 Cons:
  • headphone audio quality not sufficient for music (ok for podcasts and audiobooks only) - most people will need to buy better quality headphones sooner or later
  • the hold switch is difficult to slide (especially when running)
  • relatively expensive price.
My running jacket has a special outside breast pocket that is suitable for iPod. It works well for me. In freezing cold I try to protect the iPod with something to keep the battery alive longer. 

In the summer I have to investigate what is the best way to carry it. I might try one of those wrist- or armbands that are available in stores selling accessories. 

No comments: