Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's resolutions

Happy New Year! It's time to announce my new year's resolutions. My goals for 2008 are:
  • to run an ultra (any training run beyond 42.2 km will do) each week
  • to rest one full day (ie. doing something else than running) each week.

It's hard to say at this point which will turn out to be more challenging, the long run or taking the day off.

Without further ado, I simply got out early in the morning in darkness (there was no snow on the ground) and turned on my Suunto t3 and headed straight for the forest trails. I recently acquired the latest improved model of the heart rate monitor with a new lighter and smaller footpod (see photo). The pod has a much longer battery life than the earlier model. My test run on the track proved the distance measurement 100% accurate without any need for calibration.

I managed 44.5 km today. My time was slow, 5:17, with an average HR of 121. I'm trying to take it easy during the winter. What's great about cool climate is that dehydration is not an issue. I carried one water bottle in my back pack and that was enough.

There's nothing like a little athletic achievement to kick off the new year - I'm so happy for doing this. Highly recommended!

No comments: