Monday, March 31, 2008

14 ultramarathons down, 38 to go

Boy what a nice heatwave we are enjoying this week. The temperature soared above 10 degrees Celsius (50F) in the afternoon sun. The condition of the running paths varied from excellent to awful - there were still some slippery icy sections to be found in the forests, and I also encountered some muddy spots.

Soon after the start I soon noticed that I have way too much clothes on. After reducing one layer and taking my hat and gloves off it felt great for a while. Then the sun really hit me near the open fields by the river, and I felt kind of hot again. Warm weather seems to be too much for my system after last weeks freezing snowstorms. 

I had to stop for cool bottle of ice tea when I was about halfway, and I felt pretty good again. However the next 10K turned out to be the most difficult part of my route today, and my pace was reduced to a slow shuffle. I managed to cover 43.9 km (27.3 miles) in 4:52, and was relatively satisfied with that.

14 ultramarathons down, 38 to go!      

No comments: