Monday, March 24, 2008

A sunny but cold 50K


It was cold early in the morning, but what a great sunny day this turned out to be. I ran 51.5 km (32 miles) in 6 hours 13 minutes.


First I ran a pleasant marathon and then had a quick lunch. While stuffing myself I happened to see a website about Ben Saunders' current attempt to set a new world speed record to the Geographic North Pole. Ben's solo expedition will be on foot and unsupported - in other words, he will pull all gear, food and fuel in his sledge.  

Perhaps inspired by that, I proceeded to tow my kid in a plastic pulk in a nearby park with tiny hills, just for fun. After a couple of miles I was sweating all over and pretty much done. I wish Ben all the best, but I feel that sort of thing probably isn't my kind of gig. 

The final 4 miles went really slowly, and as it also started to get cloudy and snow a little, it was an easy decision to call it a day.


 13 ultramarathons down, 39 to go!

No comments: