Wednesday, December 17, 2008

6 most common pushup mistakes


Thanks to the video above by RenegadeHealth.com, we get to see the four most common pushup mistakes. 

I'm sorry Kevin, but I couldn't resist to make it a full half-dozen and adding my solutions

Without further ado, here are the 6 most common pushup mistakes.
  1. Not doing any pushups at all. Come on, this is one of the greatest workouts ever invented, and it's freely available anywhere you are.
  2. Letting your elbows go wide. Keep your elbows in - you don't have to squeeze them crazy tight, just make sure they don't travel too wide either.
  3. Sloping your hips down. Always keep your back straight.
  4. Sticking your butt up in the air. Always keep your back straight.
  5. Not going down far enough. Quit thinking you can win in this game by cheating - you should go down all the way and then up all the way. 10 honest pushups are way better than 20 half-pushups.
  6. Hanging your head low like a cow. Imagine a straight line from your feet to the top of your head and then really focus on keeping it that way all the time.
 

2 comments:

Peter Lubbers said...

Good stuff.
I recently came across
http://hundredpushups.com/
A nice program to work towards building up to 100 (real) pushups.
I'm pretty amazed at the progress so far with just 3 sessions a week.

Anonymous said...

So you haven't done 100 yet? Neither have I, but now I'm determined to!

Currently I'm able to do 30-50 pushups depending on how I feel on any given day.

Thanks for reminding me about the hundredpushups.com - I think someone mentioned it a while ago but then I forgot all about it.

BTW I'm also working on my pullups and for a good reason too - I sincerely hope they won't establish hundredpullups.com any time soon...