Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sun & moon: my nice pair of running headlamps

Running headlamps are not an absolutely essential element of Scandinavian running, because in winter we have snow and in summer we have sunlight.

However I have acquired a nice pair of them. I'm only interested in lightweight lamps, and the lighter the better. My lights have to be compact.

My first choice is Retki Super Led, which is advertised as "world's smallest superled-headlight." I'm not sure what they exactly mean by that, but when a cheap (typically 20 euros or less) waterproof lamp weighs only about 38 grams (1.3 oz) with batteries, it's a no-brainer really to use it as an everyday backup light.

Special features include a red transparent slide-on light cover and a narrow elastic strap. The clip-on right behind the lamp is great when you want to wear it for example on your belt, as I often do. There is one button that sets spotlight/blinking/off modes. Two lithium CR2032 batteries provide over 60 hours burning time.

In the photo below you see the little cool blue-ish round 3.5 lumens spot it provides. It reminds me of full moon, so I call it my 'moonlight lamp'.


My second choice is heavier but much brighter Petzl Tikka XP2. It's a new updated model of the famous Tikka headlight. It costs around 45 euros and weighs about 85 grams (3.0 oz) with three alkaline AAA batteries. The good news is that now also lithium or rechargeable batteries can be used if you like.

XP2 has a pretty strong 60 lumens wide spot (and even wider with the transparent slide-on diffuser), which should be enough for trail running races at night I believe, but so far I have only tested it on snowy trails.

Special features include a separate red led, that can be set to flash or continuous. The white main light has three modes: maximum, economic and flashing. The overall design is pleasing and comfortable. Batteries should last about 60 hours, and in any case it's possible to change them quickly with a well designed battery compartment. There's only one large button that can be operated with cold numb hands or with warm gloves on - your call :-)

The bright warm yellow-ish beam made me name this one my 'sunlight lamp'.


Together this dynamic duo of headlamps complement each other efficiently and effectively. With XP2 on my head and Retki on my belt I can run safely anywhere. Sun and moon in your pocket or backpack, ready to be used during those ultra long night runs!


NB. This is a blog, not an ad. I've nothing to do with any companies and I've bought every product with my own hard-earned cash. All opinions are based on my limited personal experiences. As always, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

No comments: