Sunday, May 2, 2010

Q & A about PR Diet

A question from RunningBunny:
I stumbled upon your blog and your nutrition approach made me curious. I myself are a strong believer in paleo diet which is also whole, natural foods, no grains but allows for meat and fish.

I see that your diet allows for plenty of fruit. That is the part that makes me wonder since the fruit we have today are far sweeter than whatever our pre-ancestors had access to. As a paleo-eater I am weary of too much sugars. 

I hope maybe in the future you could address that in one of your posts.



My answer:


What a great comment Ewa, thanks!

I've been a paleo eater (meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy) for 15 years or so, but in the last couple of years I've been experimenting with first vegetarian and then vegan paleo. This year I discovered lfrv (low fat raw vegan) paleo.

Fruits, vegs and nuts/seeds are and have always been essential paleo foods, for example look at Loren Cordain's foodlist in his book Paleo Diet:

http://altmed.creighton.edu/Paleodiet/Foodlist.html

You're right, the ubiquitous hybrid (often advertised as sweet and seedless) varieties of fruit are sweeter and possibly lower in other nutritients.

However I'm eating them daily without worries, as long as I'm burning all those extra sugars by exercising and eating less than 10% fat.

Probably most of our foods are quite different from what our ancestors ate. Nowadays meat is acid forming and fish is toxic. The food industry is destroying our health and environment.

Thanks again for taking time to comment, I'll surely blog more about this soon!

2 comments:

Don Wiss said...

Vegan paleo? There is no such thing. It is a contradiction in terms. The paleo diet requires some animal protein in some form. You could be a vegetarian paleo and eat eggs. But you can't be a vegan paleo.

Anonymous said...

Thanks but no thanks. I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. Who says some cavemen couldn't have been vegan, at least those living in tropical areas?

Let's see what Wikipedia says about Paleolithic diet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

They say "This dietary approach is a controversial topic amongst nutritionists and anthropologists and it has been qualified as a fad diet...not likely to acurately reflect the features of ancient Paleolithic diets."

What they don't say is what you claim: "The paleo diet requires some animal protein in some form." It may contain some animal protein, but what's the point as we can get all the protein we need (which is under 10 % of total calories) from fruits, vegs and nuts.

In fact, if you scroll down a bit, there is a nice photo of a raw paleolithic dish consisting of tomato sauce, olives, celery, spinach, walnuts and courgette noodles. No matter how hard I look, I can't find any animal protein on that yummy plate!

I don't believe humans are carnivores. Some may think they are, but it's a mistake if they have access to fruit, vegs and nuts which is the true paleo diet. If they don't have access to that, they probably live in the wrong location.