Sunday, January 18, 2015

Swiss Irontrail - Beyond the limit


This week I lost in the UTMB 2015 lottery. That opened up a huge gap in my August race schedule. So I decided to enter Swiss Irontrail T201 on August 13-15. Their slogan isn't Beyond the limit for nothing. It's a 201 km (my longest ultra trail) Davos-Davos counterclockwise loop with +11,440m elevation gain. They give you 64 hours to run around it: from Thursday morning to Saturday night.


I know Davos and the whole Graubünden area quite well. I've participated five times in SwissAlpine by the same experienced organizer, Tuffli Events. I've also ran on my own extensively around Davos, St. Moritz, Lenzerheide and Arosa, so I know how gorgeous and challenging this course is.







I'm not going to lie: Switzerland is my favorite Alpine country and Graubünden (aka Grisons) is my favorite canton. I simply love running there so much I can't get enough. But I probably will soon! :)


Meanwhile the Swiss National Bank let go its cap on the value of the Swiss franc against the euro. This caused the Swiss franc to soar beyond the previous limit of 1.20 to the euro. As the euro keeps on struggling down the slippery slopes, this might well become my most expensive ultra trail ever. But hey we live only once, so let's take it beyond the limit in 2015! ;)


2 comments:

Will Cooper said...

europe is so different than the US! everything is dainty and green. Here, everything is arid and crusty. time to get back over there!

Jukka Kukkonen said...

It's green here because it rains a lot, so pack your best rain gear! Swiss Irontrail registration is open and there's no hype, no lottery, no medical certificate like in some other races. Just pure Alpine trailrunning.